Agencies That Build #5 – Building Right Relationships | Ben Callahan
We’re back with the fifth episode of Agencies That Build. Joining Casey & Varun for this super insightful session is Ben Callhan, Founder of the Build Right workshop series and President of Sparkbox; a group of web makers that develops client products and teams via projects and their Build Right training.
Following the ATB tradition we passed the Mjölnir to Ben and busted some common industry myths.
- Clients always care about the tools and technologies an agency has to offer
- Thinking people/companies are perfect, and they don’t make mistakes
Ben kickstarted the session with his approach to business as ‘People over tools’ and that part he also covered while busting the myths for us. He also mentioned that transparency goes a long way in building relationships.
For instance, if you’re working with a big company, and they need 10 resources. You won’t go around and hunt for new ones; that’s a recipe for disaster. Instead, you’d use your network of skilled people that you trust.
It’s not a bad thing, just be honest about it to the client that you’re swamped, and you’re working with contractors that fit in your culture, to get the work done.
You’d be surprised how many people appreciate the truth and just want to get their work done.
Ben also shared one of the most important and practical best practices for agencies:
Talk about timeline, scope, and budget every week
It’s really important to have these conversations and avoid being the company that just takes requirements, provides estimates, and shows up only when their is an issue. Both the parties bring different experiences to the table, one brings business/domain expertise and other brings tech. Frequent conversations will keep the deliveries on track and budgets in check.
TL;DR | Takeaways for Building Right Relationships
- It’s easy to get distracted by our technology rather than having personal conversations. However, that one on one connection builds relationships further than any piece of tech could.
- It is ok to mess up! Transparency is key to good communication with a client. When mistakes happen try having a mindset of continuous improvement and lean on your coworkers for support.
- The core of a great business relationship is transparency, trust, and honesty. This builds stability and shows your clients you have their best interest in mind.
- “There is a lot of potential reward in being a hyper-specialized company. But the risk of course is choosing an industry. If something happens external to your group then all your marketing is focused on that niche.” ~Ben Callahan
- Bring different voices to the table when looking for solutions. “Have a workplace that has a lot of different perspectives, different experiences because that is going to bring a lot of interesting solutions to the surface.” ~Ben Callahan
- Career advice from Ben Callahan, embrace the leader within you.
About Galaxy WeblinksWe specialize in human-centric user experience design services to our clients across the globe. Our innovative ideas, creative designs, industry best practices, and processes help us improve user satisfaction and solve complex design problems. Contact us for a free consultation!
A lot is happening at Google, particularly on the analytics front with the new GA4 version. Apart from some practica...
Here at Galaxy Weblinks, we realize it can be tough to balance high impact app development while also staying afloat...
In this episode of Agencies That Build, we have with us Chad Pytel, Founder, and COO of thoughtbot. It’s a group of ...
In this episode of Agencies That Build we invited Michael Coogan, the President and Managing Partner of MC2 Design G...
In this episode of ‘Agencies That Build’ we are discussing cultivating successful teams in remote settings with Jim ...
Building robust web solutions that transform businesses into online management tools facilitate Galaxy Weblinks to e...
Galaxy Weblinks, a leading technology consulting firm, acquired Biz Solutions 365, last month. The much expected anno...
Here at Galaxy Weblinks, we know it’s difficult to promote and sustain your brand-new company’s success while also cr...
Here at Galaxy Weblinks, we believe that top notch web development and mobile apps are required to fuel successful co...