The client was looking for help to test critical functionalities of its mobile application for which they found a solution in Galaxy’s automation testing.
Our client is a trusted peer-to-peer rental marketplace for buying, selling, and renting almost anything. Our client’s dream is to offer a platform where all goods from cufflinks to computers can be borrowed within minutes. Why? Because we all own something that could be of value to someone else.
And with so many users constantly engaging with their mobile app daily, they needed to be certain that the UI runs smoothly on every device and platform without frustrating the users – which could be achieved through a comprehensive well-written automation testing.
The client follows agile methodology in its software development process. This allows them to detect bugs earlier in the cycle, which results in speedy bug fixes. While testing early in the software development life cycle, there are certain tests that need to be repeated.
Such cases, when handled manually, were taking a lot of time and effort. Here, they felt the need to implement test automation that can overcome various challenges and help them improve the quality of the product in less time.
The main challenge for our client was to test major functionalities of their app on Android device. The goal was to complete test execution in a less amount of time. Due to the complexity of the application, it was difficult for them to zero in on the best automation framework for their app. They wanted to adopt an automated testing environment to ensure a highly reliable and secure system, and reduce the cost of future changes to their system. Seeking to adopt an efficient automated testing environment and reduce testing time, the client turned to Galaxy.
Our client came to us with the aim to develop a scaffolding that is laid to provide an execution environment for the automation test scripts. A framework that could increase test speed and efficiency, improve test accuracy, and minimize test maintenance costs while eliminating the scope for human error.
We needed to automate test cases for user portal of their core application. And for that we decided to solve their mobile test automation challenges and build the automation framework from scratch using open-source frameworks for their hybrid App.
Our testing team identified automation objectives and goals. This is determined through consultation between our client’s testing & development team and our testers. We then identified the test cases for automation based on different test case categories like difficulty to be tested manually, chances of human error, repetition, and data required for testing.
Login Test Scenarios:
- Verify if a user will be able to login with a valid username and valid password.
- Verify if the ‘Enter’ key of the keyboard is working correctly on the login page.
- Verify homepage after login
Renting Flow Test Scenarios:
- To click Search icon from the homepage and start searching for the product.
- When user starts typing words in text box, it should suggest words that matches typed keyword.
- To select date from date-picker/calendar for starting to end date of renting.
- To validate that the application supports payment gateway transaction as required by the application.
- Ensure that user can access the Checkout Page after adding a product to the cart.
- To check the logout session and whether the link or button for logout accessible for all users.
- To validate the rest of the test cases like scrolling, navigation, double taps, etc.
Having covered all the crucial scenarios and cases to ensure a smooth user experience, it was time to see how the tests pan out.
Testing the functionality
The client needed a team who can collaborate with them having the knowledge of web testing techniques and the e-commerce domain. We undergo discussion over special considerations of various aspects of project understanding such as business goals, current state of automation, and future roadmap.
To further ensure that the app was performing as expected, we did functional and smoke testing on major features, themes, and structure of the application i.e. from login to logout.
We created a testing framework using Java, Appium, Selenium, TestNG, and Maven. Such approach to select multiple open source tools and combine them with a custom framework helped us leverage a number of benefits:
- To reduce the time to create and maintain scripts.
- We used data-driven automated testing to separate test procedures from test data, allowing to cover more scenarios with a minimum amount of effort.
- We used POM concept, and developed special features that could be reused by all scripts, such as to create automated reports with screenshots for failed case/step, common methods for AppiumDriver (click, wait, etc.).
Integrating testing in development cycle
We integrated the script with Jenkins in the client’s environment in windows machine using the batch command. We configured Jenkins in such a way that smoke tests were first executed for sign in, flow of renting a product (on the same day), verify homepage, and verify rental page. And after the successful completion, functional tests were executed for verifying a renting a product on different days.
Our testing team worked with the client and successfully crafted a testing and development plan tailored to their release cycle and pace of customer demands. We helped the client automate the system installation, smoke testing, functional testing, and system deployment process as well.
How we helped the client to get the best out of their automation testing:
- Selected test tools that leverage the best-of-breed approaches.
- Completed test execution in a less amount of time.
- Updated tests in accordance with changes in the UI and function of the application.
- Ensured verification of test results generated by automation testing.
- Ensured timely submission of test results to the client.
- Ensured that the user’s search experience in the site is of the highest quality.
With effective automation testing, our client managed to reduce time-to-market and launched a bug-free product. In addition, integrating continuous testing in the CI/CD process helped shorten mobile app release cycle and ensured high customer satisfaction. And as we took care of repetitive tasks with less number of resources on-board, we thereby helped in maximizing Return on Investment for our client.