URL optimization is a part of on-page SEO. URL is a part of Uniform Resource Identifier (URI). It is a specific character string used by web browsers to define a location. It is also known as website address or web page address.
URL is the global address of documents and other resources on the World Wide Web. It is a specific way to retrieve that web resource. URLs are used to identify a resource (site, name, application etc.) across the computer network. It specifies the IP address or the domain name where the resource is located.
For instance: http://www.galaxyweblinks.com/
SEO friendly URLs
SEO friendly URL plays an important role in promoting your content. It should begin with a domain name and be categorize in the form of keywords. Make sure the targeted keywords are fixed well in the webpage.
URL optimization best practices
- For a SEO friendly URL, add related keywords in your URL. Adding keywords in the domain name is a good thing but stuffing too many keywords is bad practice. The more the (key) words stuffed in URL, the more it looks spam. For example www.keyword1,keyword2,keyword3.com
- Do not add more than five words in your URL. Adding too many words can make your URL a little longer. Lengthy URLs look worse and it works against SEO best practices. You can add upto 4-5 words in the webpage name to make it descriptive, precise and short. According to Google, over lengthy URL are usually keyword stuffed.
- Use hyphens (-) instead of underscores (_) in your URLs. If you use underscore (web_ development) in URLs Google will not recognize them as separate words and will consider it as a single keyword. Hyphens are used to separate the words.
- Domain name is not case sensitive but URL is case sensitive. You need to be very careful while internal or external link building. If you avoid the case sensitive nature of URLs it could result in duplicate content served and will eventually end up as duplicate content issue.
- Don’t end the URL with “.exe” file extension as Google bots do not crawl URLs with such extensions. This type of file extension is a bit dangerous and should be avoided. Your content may get penalized. It’s better to change your file extension to something else.
URL structure plays an important role in your website ranking. The above practices can help you effectively optimizing your URLs and will probably enhance the value of SEO. Search engines set lots of URL parameters before delivering the search results to the end users. You need to make the proper corrections in URL structure before submitting it to the search engines.